It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Fun*Run Time

It's ALREADY that time of year again: The ADAPT Fun*Run for Disability Rights is April 22nd 2012. Maryland's fundraising goal is $8,000 this year. Yes, that's right, $8,000

Donate $1! Donate $10! Donate $100! Donate $1,000! JUST DONATE so we can FREE OUR PEOPLE! http://adaptfunrun.org/runner.php?id=7 I thank you very much for your support!

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Crips in the News

I actually found both of these articles on AIM Zones which pops up along with my roomate's buddy list every time I use her computer. I've been meaning to post these for some time. It makes me excited to see articles about crips profiled in the mainstream. Both of the articles are from the website Good News Now, a site I wish I had more time to explore, but now that summer school has started, I've been going to On Our Own 2X/week, etc, I sadly just don't have the time.


[image description: Dr. Adam Zertal, prof of biblical archaeology at the University of Haifa in Israel, looking at carvings on a cave wall]


The first article wasn't even represented as one about a crip. I don't think it's even mentioned, but it's sure obvious in the pictures that the head archiologist uses forearm crutches. How's that for breaking barriers about what crips can/not do?


"Katrina Burgess, 17, of England, [picture right] has been recruited by a modeling agency just five months after a 70 mph vehicle crash left her with severe injuries or breaks to her back, lungs, neck, pelvis, leg and ribs." After seeing a newspaper article about her accident, surgeries, and recovery, Execs at a London based modeling agency "were drawn to her 'fresh face' and plan to use her in teenage and family-oriented campaigns."

This is the second time I've posted about a crip being discovered by modeling agencies accidentially. Both do have almost invisable disabilities. Marissa Irwin has a scar that goes down the back of her neck and Katrina has a scar that goes from her neck all the way down her entire back (see the pictures that accompany the article), but I mean, 1) how often do you show models from behind? And 2) Most of that can be covered up by clothes, hair, or photo retouching. Am I being too cynical or realistic? Should I be encouraged by the trend?

Just heard this on the radio last week. Don't Trust Me by 3OH!3 WTF??? "Shush girl, shut your lips, do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips"

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogiversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
 
design by suckmylolly.com