It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Fun*Run Time

It's ALREADY that time of year again: The ADAPT Fun*Run for Disability Rights is April 22nd 2012. Maryland's fundraising goal is $8,000 this year. Yes, that's right, $8,000

Donate $1! Donate $10! Donate $100! Donate $1,000! JUST DONATE so we can FREE OUR PEOPLE! http://adaptfunrun.org/runner.php?id=7 I thank you very much for your support!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

I've had a Tiff Moment

My experiences at the grocery store (click here & here) are nothing like Tiff's (click here & here). No one was talking directly to me. This, however...

Classes start tomorrow. I have Death & Dying at 11am (insert sarcasm YAY!!!!) I had a Drs appt up here on Wednes and the plan was to stay here, but plans change and I just got here at 6:30. Not much time to get ready is it? But now I’m going off on a tangent.

I was lucky when I had to scramble for housing last Aug that I found a room for rent in a house that a) had no stairs to the front door and b) had a room on the first floor that also had a stall shower. The house is owned by a widow with a double mortgage who doesn’t have much income. It is a 2-floor house but someone who lived here before her added a bathroom and 3 bedrooms in the attic. So there are 6 bedrooms and rooms in the basement, which has a separate entrance. She has 2 daughters and then there were 2 other college students here and 3 women in their mid-late 20s. I come to find out tonight that one of the college students moved out while I was gone over winter break and some woman around 40 moved in (weird I know). About 2.5 hours ago I came out of my room to heat up some dinner and she was in the shower. When she got out of the shower she put on her robe and came over to say hi. “Hi I’m (I already forgot her name) and I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m in the blue bedroom and I just wanted to introduce myself since we are going to be floor mates. Have you always been in a wheelchair…?”

“No, I hardly ever use it. I’m just sitting in it right now because it’s really comfortable.” Truth is my only choices of where to sit are my manual chair (not comfortable at all), my bed, or my Jazzy. The wireless here sucks and my best option is the Jazzy. Anyway…

“My husband’s a paraplegic. I’m recently separated. I’ve been married for 18 years. Are you a paraplegic?”

“No.”

“Do you have CP or…”

“Yes.”

My crutches are currently leaning against my bed. “Oh do you walk with those?”

“Yes.” I wasn’t about to get into it that the only day my class schedule warrants using them this semester is Tues and that other then that I walk unaided. What’s the point?

“My husband uses those crutches too. I’ve always had a lot of sympathy for—oh well, you probably don’t consider yourself disabled.”

“Yes I do…” HELLO??? I have 2 wheelchairs, a pair of crutches, and my AFOs out that she could see. I also have a pair of shorter orthotics I wear most days. What am I??? This is not something like ADHD that could arguably go either way.

"Well let me know if you need any help..."

SYMPATHY??? SYMPATHY??? No wonder she’s getting a divorce. Has she learned nothing form living with a paraplegic for 18 years? Come on


0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogiversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
 
design by suckmylolly.com