It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Fun*Run Time

It's ALREADY that time of year again: The ADAPT Fun*Run for Disability Rights is April 22nd 2012. Maryland's fundraising goal is $8,000 this year. Yes, that's right, $8,000

Donate $1! Donate $10! Donate $100! Donate $1,000! JUST DONATE so we can FREE OUR PEOPLE! http://adaptfunrun.org/runner.php?id=7 I thank you very much for your support!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Love Using the Internet for Good

Right now, I'm irritable. I'm in one of those moods where it's everything and nothing. It's things I've complained about here before, and things I won't bother complaining about. I'm Just IRRITABLE! I'd blame it on the mood disorder, but you can't blame bipolar for everything. I think I'l have to blame "human being disorder."


Anyway, one of my new favorite things I discovered a few months ago is using the internet for peer support. And you're probably gonna say, "That's not new, such and such has had a website for 15 years!" But I argue there's a big difference in the value of support from people you actually know.

Where else is there to go for peer support in the wee hours of the night besides facebook? It's using the internet for good.

My November 10th status update from 1am when I couldn't sleep says "anxiety is worse then depression, but better then mania. Discuss." I'm glad I no longer remember what made me so anxious, but I tagged the first 10 people I could think of who identify as crazy and managed to start a meaningful discussion within 6mins.

Then there's my Oct 21st status from 12:17am "has a sudden fear of having a panic attack while I'm sleeping tonight. Not a completely irrational fear as I've had them before. Coping strategies anyone?" I didn't even think to tag people that time, and I still got a response in 2mins. About 25mins later, someone posted an idea I'd used successfully many, many times before, which has always worked. Don't know why I hadn't thought of it first, but I was able to sleep that night.

So I've decided to take this to my blog. What are some things you do when you're irritable that tend to help snap you out of it? Writing this is helping me!

and a very important PS -- I very rarely actually look at other people's FB pages as it fuels unwanted obsessive behaviors, but if you tag me in a status update in this genre, I'll be sure to add my 2 cents!

2 comments:

therapydoc said...

When I'm irritable it's more what I don't do than what I do. I don't talk to anyone, except to say, Let's talk later, I'm tired. Generally any decent distraction will do, like reading or TV. But no people. Don't want anyone to get hurt :)

Anonymous said...

That was a nice read there ^^ And glad to know you use the internet for good >:3 Oh~ I'm new to your page and was wondering if you'd like to be friends x3? Hope we can chat heh ^^ It's nice to meet you by the way =D. If it's ok with you, I hope we can talk more, my E-mail is: ki93@live.com Hope I can hear from you soon ^^

P.S. - I know all too well how those odd nights go by (like it is for me, right now XD)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogiversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
 
design by suckmylolly.com