It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Fun*Run Time

It's ALREADY that time of year again: The ADAPT Fun*Run for Disability Rights is April 22nd 2012. Maryland's fundraising goal is $8,000 this year. Yes, that's right, $8,000

Donate $1! Donate $10! Donate $100! Donate $1,000! JUST DONATE so we can FREE OUR PEOPLE! http://adaptfunrun.org/runner.php?id=7 I thank you very much for your support!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Crips Should Have Equal Opportunity to SEX

No, I'm not talking about prostitution, but I do have very strong views on crips and prostitution. Take a look. In fact, I'm not even talking about sex at all. I just wanted a title that'd get your attention :-) I'm talking about sex stores. Specifically, the sex store down the street. It has been in business longer then the 4 years I've lived in town and ever since they've been open (well before that actually) there's been this step to get in the door. A step that keeps wheelers from being able to enjoy their wares. Now a bunch of places on that strip of road have a step or 3 to get in, however more places have sloped their entrances without causing havoc to the sidewalk (that's one of the 2 main complaints to completing a pretty easy renovation. The other is people in wheelchairs don't come in here anyway. I wonder...).

Man do I wish the sex store would fix there entrance. Not that I would go in there, the place doesn't impress me at all, but it's the principal of the matter. It's the principal that crips should be able to rent dirty movies or buy dirty magazines or vibrators just like everybody else. Geez, I'm totally preaching to the choir here but sometimes a crip just wants to enjoy herself and I don't want anybody putting up barriers to my being able to should I choose!!!! ARGH!!!!

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. It's something that's been on my nerves for 3 years, ever since I went in there with my 2 closest friends. I hadn't ever paid attention to the place before so the fact that there was this step outside hadn't registered. Thankfully we had ventured out with just my quickie that my friend and I had decided to share as opposed to both of us being in chairs. So I got up and the other friend hauled it into the store for us. However, I can't remember the last time I went somewhere with my quickie and I'm not about to lift a 200+ lb powerchair into the store. I could walk there if I really wanted to, but I doubt I'd have it in me to make the trek home afterward, and even if I did I don't want to support an establishment that spreads ableist assumptions that crips are asexual. WE'RE NOT!!!!

Why do I bring this up? I bring this up for a reason that has absolutely nothing to do with sex at all. I bring this up because I went to an acupuncturist last week. An acupuncturist who is also a physiatrist (NOT a mental health practitioner although sounds similar, click the link to see what one does, I highly recommend that every gimp finds a good one). She says she can do something for my knee that doesn't involve injecting toxic chemicals into it every 6mos (botox). I wasn't originally going there for my knee, in fact it never occurred to me to acupuncture my f---ed up knee, but OMG I'm all for less toxic chemicals.

Her working on my knee means me massaging my scar tissue every day. Can do. Will do. No prob. SUPER EXCITED actually (although not so super excited at the prospect of now having TWO physiatrists bugging the crap out of me). She said to use lotion, massage oil, whatever, even olive oil, cooking oil. I went to a talk on infant massage given at a child life conference and they also mentioned the olive/cooking oil thing. Apparently olive oil is really good for your skin, learned something new.

[image description: olive oil being poured onto a plate]

I gave the olive oil some thought but using my left hand to pour it into my right hand didn't thrill me. Turning that wrist in such a way as to not spill it on my clothes would be a bit hard. And although there is a better chance of keeping it in my left hand it's harder to hold the bottle with my right. It's a lose-lose. Olive oil is just too slippery and I'm afraid of it staining my clothes. So then what kind of lotion do I really want? Do I want something with the consistency of lotion or do I really want something more slippery? Are there things on the market with an in between consistency?

You know who might have something like that? You know who might know? THE SEX STORE. The sex store I can't get into (see the connection now?). I repeat my AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! I ended up going to Nordstroms Rack and getting vanilla creme hand & body lotion made by the Simple Pleasures line that is carried there, which I just LOVE anyway (I've been using their giant bottles of body wash for YEARS). I probably would have gotten that in the end anyway, but that's not the point. The point is that I want equal access to the sex store! Their location 3 towns up is accessible I believe, but I won't shop there. It's the principal of the matter...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea yea. whine whine. act or not! what's that tag thing, ...'activist crip?' fix it. read the Baltimore Sun article today about Donna's restaurant in Mount Vernon FINALLY settle with the justice department for access.
and how is class going? I need some communication please. miss you.
AND YAY YOU about the knee and the lotion thing. I use a thing with a handle for olive oil. luv, GH

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogiversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
 
design by suckmylolly.com