It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Fun*Run Time

It's ALREADY that time of year again: The ADAPT Fun*Run for Disability Rights is April 22nd 2012. Maryland's fundraising goal is $8,000 this year. Yes, that's right, $8,000

Donate $1! Donate $10! Donate $100! Donate $1,000! JUST DONATE so we can FREE OUR PEOPLE! http://adaptfunrun.org/runner.php?id=7 I thank you very much for your support!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

It's Snowing Here in Maryland

The last 2 winters I've written posts about ice; I guess it's time I write about snow. Its been snowing for at least the last 6hrs if not longer. The flakes are arguably the biggest I've ever seen and they show no signs of slowing down :-( Usually the first snow of the season is small, melts as soon as it hits the ground. Not today. My roommate said her parents (an hr SW) already measured at over 3in.

I HATE snow. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!!!!!!!!! Was that clear enough? I have never liked snow. As a kid people thought I was weird, but as a gimp it's just not conducive to anything good. It can get very hard to walk in, especially since my ankle fusion because it's now harder to walk on uneven surfaces then it was before. Ice is a BIG no-no both before and after. I slip too easily. Did you know also that the motors on my chair are not covered up? They're completely exposed. Everyone always tells me to watch the joystick, that it can short if it gets wet. Well, I've never had that happen (even that time in July), but I did once have my motors short when I tried to go out in snow that was too high. Don't let snow touch the bottom of your chair. Motors cannot get wet. Lesson learned. Another thing I've noticed about snow is that particularly after big snow storms large piles of snow tend to get shoveled / plowed into the handicapped parking access aisles. Can you say GAAAAHHHHH? It often takes days after everything else for those piles to completely melt.

So how about you? Do you love snow or HATE it? Do you find that it impacts your / your kid's disability? Any tips for managing snow with a disability? I'm sure lots of people would like to have them.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogiversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
 
design by suckmylolly.com