It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Fun*Run Time

It's ALREADY that time of year again: The ADAPT Fun*Run for Disability Rights is April 22nd 2012. Maryland's fundraising goal is $8,000 this year. Yes, that's right, $8,000

Donate $1! Donate $10! Donate $100! Donate $1,000! JUST DONATE so we can FREE OUR PEOPLE! http://adaptfunrun.org/runner.php?id=7 I thank you very much for your support!

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Some Articles, An Addition to My Blogroll, a Video, & More on Books

The Struggle for Care from The Australian (which I got to through Terrible Palsy) is about the dire need for better community supports/PCAs for disabled adults in Australia.

Deborah at Pipecleaner Dreams wrote about a protest of Amazon's Kindle 2. There is an issue with the ability to make The Kindle capable of text-to-speech. This ability is an absolute BREAKTHROUGH for people who either cannot read or have difficulty.

From media dis&dat: Believe it or Not, California Donut Shop Built Around Theme of "Fun Mental Institution" There's a petition now to try to get Psycho Donuts to change their theme. Also, if you have HBO, New "In Treatment" Character Deals with Cancer, Brother with Autism. Man there are A LOT of crips on TV at the moment. Beth also posted articles about two other shows. Michael J. Fox Begins His Run on "Rescue Me" & Daryl "Chill" Mitchell Returning to TV.

For once there are too many crips on TV for me. I won't be able to keep up with this much TV. These shows of course are in addition to Table for 12, How's Your News?, & Little People Big World. The best part? Everyone actually has a dis, as opposed to the trend of AB actors playing crips (Dustin Hoffman, Rain Man, Sean Penn I am Sam, Jason Ritter, Joan of Arcadia, etc). For once, finally, people are realizing that crips can in fact act just as good as any professional AB. I mean there are examples of crips on TV (Deanne Bray on Sue Thomas: F.B. Eye, and Marlee Matlin on West Wing & Dancing with the Stars), but those examples are not nearly as prevalent.

Sometime last week I stumbled upon Two Women Blogging (which is really 3) It's listed under my "other" section of my blog roll and a GREAT blog. The authors are a Jewish (doesn't really matter, except I care) primary care physician & mother of 1, A SAHM of 2, one autistic, & a psychiatrist & mom to 3. Check them out.

I also just stumbled upon a site that has a bunch of GREAT articles about disability & sex (something I am always interested in :D)

And now, the funniest video I've EVER seen (I found it on Big Noise):


Boyfriend With Health Benefits - Watch more Funny Videos

Lastly, I've come upon some birthday $ and I'm buying Voluntary Madness. I was disappointed that the person I thought was buying it for me didn't. It's way cheaper on Amazon then the bookstore, but now it's less than $25 and I refuse to pay for shipping (I know, talking about buying something from Amazon in the same post where I suggest people protest is more than odd, but really we're not protesting Amazon, we're protesting the Authors Guild). I have enough to buy 2 books anyway. But now the problem is that I can't figure out what else to buy. Staring: How we Look sounds FASCINATING, but is way over how much I want to add. What is your favorite book? Give me ideas. Thanks

PHEW... I feel as though I just did my own DBC...

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogiversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
 
design by suckmylolly.com