It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Fun*Run Time

It's ALREADY that time of year again: The ADAPT Fun*Run for Disability Rights is April 22nd 2012. Maryland's fundraising goal is $8,000 this year. Yes, that's right, $8,000

Donate $1! Donate $10! Donate $100! Donate $1,000! JUST DONATE so we can FREE OUR PEOPLE! http://adaptfunrun.org/runner.php?id=7 I thank you very much for your support!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Disability Rocks Reality TV

I was watching TLC recently and saw a commercial for a new reality show, Table for 12. ANOTHER ONE??? I said. Good God. Who cares? TLC already has Little People, Big World, Jon & Kate Plus 8, & 18 Kids and Counting. C'mon, regular families, tons of kids. We have enough of that. Well apparently not. I was lucky enough to start reading media dis & dat and caught an article about the show this morning. Rebecca, one of the 4 year old sextuplets has CP--LIKE ME!!! Except, well, she is legally blind and is much higher tone, but whatev. In the article the parents said they are doing the show to educate the public about CP. HOW COOL!!!

I once got into an argument with a friend who said the Rolloffs were exploiting themselves for the money. I got all uppity (as is my nature). They are doing it for the money of course, but they are really doing it as a service to this country. They are educating people about dwarfism and disability in general and showing people that we don't have the plague or something. "How's Your News?"? Same thing.

I think it is so cool that disability is all over TV, bringing awareness all over the country. But why? Why now? Why has disability become so popular? What do you think? I don't know, but I also don't know if I care why. I'm just happy, end of story.

On the second episode tonight the family went to the aquarium and the staff made sure that Rebecca had a sensory experience with some creatures that they brought over for her to touch. I had sympathy pains. I was hypersensitive when I was little. A lot of people with CP do. I went through a lot of therapy to get over that. Feeling for her if she is hypersensitive. Touching a starfish... EWWWWW! To be hypersensitive and blind (if she is) could cause problems I imagine. The 2 episodes repeat Saturday and then there are 2 new episodes next Monday, one that centers on taking Rebecca for her first hypotherapy session. I LOVE PONIES!

Please watch Monday and support disability awareness. This show could break down a lot of barriers for all of us.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your right, it really does start removing the barriers that are there. That is a very good thing.

However, I really don't like Reality Shows that involve finding true love or some contest where someone always gets hurt and the the mean spiritedness that comes out.

The ones you speak of make so much sense and can really be so helpful when it comes to understanding, compassion and tolerance.
XXXXXXX

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogiversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
 
design by suckmylolly.com